Sunday, April 7, 2013

Old Lyon

After a long and tiring week, Chelsea and I went to Lyon again. This time at Lyon, we went to the Croix Rousse area where there was a huge market.  We left early Saturday morning and had a cab bring us to the train station. This cab was not your typically cab, we think it was one of Ann Marie’s Friend. Ann Marie is our house mother who lives in the same apartment buildings as us. We go to her with questions. The cab had a really nice car and was really nice as well. He was also very cheap compared to the real taxi drivers.
 
Our Metro Map
We arrived in Lyon a little bit before nine in the morning. Once at the train station, we had to go on the metro to get to the Croix Rousse area. We had no problems purchasing tickets this time, as we are pros now navigating through the metros. While going down to the metro, this young lady, probably a couple years older than Chelsea and I, asked us how to get to Hotel de Ville. We could understand her a little bit as she spoke some English. Chelsea and I had a hand drawn map that our chef gave us for our first trip, so we told her just to follow us, because we were going to the stop after hers. We all made it to our destination without getting lost. The lady was very thankful. Chelsea and I both thought it was funny that we helped out a Parisian, when we hardly know how the metro runs. If it wasn’t for the map we would be right there with her.
The Market
The Market was huge. There were a lot of venders on both sides of the streets. I got a few fruits and vegetables while I was there. Everything is so cheap at a market. I absolutely love markets; that is one thing I am going to miss when I return home.

The Walk to Bellecour
After the market we walked to Bellecour, it was a very nice walk with spectacular views. We had to stop and ask for directions multiple times. We did run into another American guy who is studying there in France just like we are. He overheard Chelsea and I talking, and stop to talk to us because we spoke English as well. Come to find out he was from Seattle, Washington.

A Church in Old Lyon
Once we finally made it to Bellecour we ate lunch and purchased all of our train reservations at a SNCF office. We also spent the rest of the afternoon shopping in the old city of Lyon.

Old Lyon
 This coming up week is a busy one. I am going on a field to Valrhona which is a chocolate factory, along with a Fruit Puree company. I am also starting a new class called Plated Desserts and I will be having a practical midterm this Friday. Oh yeah, I can’t forget about French, Thursday we will be making a video. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment